Sunday 13 January 2013

Scene 42: Zombieland, Life, the Universe and Everything

Ah, my 42nd blog post - I couldn't help making a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide in the title. Especially when I only learnt today that the show's theme is called Journey of the Sorcerer, by The Eagles. You learn something new everyday!

Talking of learning something new. I've also just acquired the skills, through film format, to survive a zombie apocalypse - I've just seen Zombieland (2009). 



It's a really good movie, and it feels really original compared to other zombie films - even though it is actually part of small genre of zom-coms, which include Shaun of the Dead (2004) and recently Cockneys vs Zombies (2012). However, I think serious horrors like 28 Days Later (2002) are still in the majority. There's the Resident Evil series of course, which is all good action fun, but it still its not playing it for outright laughs. 



Conversely though, what I thought made Zombieland so brilliant was actually the serious stuff, Zombieland's has a subtle bittersweet side. 


When I watched Zombieland I felt I was really watching what society is going to be like after a zombie apocalypse. There's no military, no safe haven as far as they can tell, its just survival - but not just the normal don't-get-eaten survival. Interestingly in this film, it seems to address the survival of the human spirit as well - think about it, how boring, how lonely must it be to be roaming  an America barren of anyone but zombies?  - and I found that really refreshing. The fact that its a comedy, and this sad side doesn't overwhelm means its nicely balanced out as well. 

In short, it's a fast, fun film with a heart that feels genuine, and it teaches you the best way to cope with a zombie apocalypse - just in case, you know, that happens. 

Check out the website for more: Zombieland Rules









No comments:

Post a Comment